Child Custody Lawyer - Chicago Family Law.jpg

Support for Children

College Expenses


College is a major expense. Students must pay for tuition, and there are also fees, books, housing and other expenses.

College Expenses and Post-Divorce Support for Kids.jpg

In Illinois, parents who are no longer married or who were never married are responsible for contributing to their child’s college expenses. Together, you must figure out the total cost for your child’s education – and if you can’t agree on how to split the expense, your best bet is to hire an attorney.

Your attorney will file a petition for the allocation of college expenses.

The process is similar to a divorce or child support case; you’ll each have to disclose your income and the judge will decide what is fair.

College Expenses, Post-Divorce or Post-Breakup

I can help you reach a fair and equitable agreement regarding your children’s college expenses, provided that you know what they are.

Call me at 312-818-5279 for a case review. I can also assist you with other divorce-related issues, including property division, child custody and spousal maintenance, and I’ll be happy to answer your questions about any part of the process.